Lo's Journal Entry #1: New(er) Orleans
Lo's Journal Entry #1: New(er) Orleans (10/07/2005 - 10/08/2005)
As we packed for our trip to New Orleans to volunteer with the pet
rescue/care efforts in the aftermath of the hurricanes, it all seemed very surreal. Actually, it seemed like I was packing for another trip to yet another third world country – except for this time I was packing 4 bags with the intention of only coming back with one - something was different about this trip.
After a beer at the airport, to celebrate our initiative and courage I believe, we boarded our Delta flight – partnered with South African Airlines. This is probably the same redeye flight I will be taking come April to head back to South Africa for my friend Greg
Pamp's wedding. Was this trip really going to be that different???? It seemed familiar.
Arriving into Atlanta for our transfer to a short hopper flight to Jackson MS I thought of how it would be great to see Shahin & Melanie, my longtime high school friend who now lives in Atlanta with his wife. I would love to hear how their plans were coming along, have a beer. Again, it seemed that this trip was going to be like my any other traveling adventures.
However, as we bordered our flight for Jackson MS, things became
clear that this was not just another trip to another third world country. As the FEMA/DMAT officers filed onto the plane, followed by some ADA officials also in uniforms, I realized we were going into an area that was a widely-declared disaster area, a war zone, a fourth-world country. My energy level began to rise, I felt that this was going to be something very new for me.
After settling into the pace of the South by stopping off for a not so quick bite to eat at a not so clean greasy Waffle chain joint filled with racial tension, obesity, and public smoking --- I realized we had made it out of California and entered, America. We were on our way to New Orleans!!!
As we neared New Orleans, nothing seemed too unnatural.
The freeways were streaming along, and except for the occasional fallen tree, nothing seemed disturbed. However, as the mile count narrowed in, more and more trees seemed uprooted,
fractured, and split in two. Then came the silencing first view of a dog, dead, on the side of the road. That was no too much later followed by a dead golden retriever puppy, and yet another adult dog. Why were all these dogs running around by the freeway? Why hadn't these corpses been removed? Were people too busy removing other corpses, large ones, human ones????
We were entering New Orleans.
We approached New Orleans via Highway 55 South, a jugular of
downtown New Orleans. It became obvious that this City had suffered a tremendous fight – large street signs bowing over in shame, scattered rubble, and windows shattered leaving vacant
holes in a mirage of a once vibrant city. This daunting image was capsulated with the Super Dome, in its not so super state – a beaten down monument symbolizing the fragile nature and uncertain future of a City renown for its funky beats, savory sent of Cajun spices, and unobvious depth of personality behind an
unquestioning festive merriment. Where had New Orleans, and the New Orlanders gone????

This is why I was here. This is what I believed we would soon see. This is what I was hoping that this next week would show. I hoped that we would we leave feeling a sense that we helped to resurrect a New(er) Orleans???
As we packed for our trip to New Orleans to volunteer with the pet

rescue/care efforts in the aftermath of the hurricanes, it all seemed very surreal. Actually, it seemed like I was packing for another trip to yet another third world country – except for this time I was packing 4 bags with the intention of only coming back with one - something was different about this trip.
After a beer at the airport, to celebrate our initiative and courage I believe, we boarded our Delta flight – partnered with South African Airlines. This is probably the same redeye flight I will be taking come April to head back to South Africa for my friend Greg

Pamp's wedding. Was this trip really going to be that different???? It seemed familiar.
Arriving into Atlanta for our transfer to a short hopper flight to Jackson MS I thought of how it would be great to see Shahin & Melanie, my longtime high school friend who now lives in Atlanta with his wife. I would love to hear how their plans were coming along, have a beer. Again, it seemed that this trip was going to be like my any other traveling adventures.
However, as we bordered our flight for Jackson MS, things became

clear that this was not just another trip to another third world country. As the FEMA/DMAT officers filed onto the plane, followed by some ADA officials also in uniforms, I realized we were going into an area that was a widely-declared disaster area, a war zone, a fourth-world country. My energy level began to rise, I felt that this was going to be something very new for me.
After settling into the pace of the South by stopping off for a not so quick bite to eat at a not so clean greasy Waffle chain joint filled with racial tension, obesity, and public smoking --- I realized we had made it out of California and entered, America. We were on our way to New Orleans!!!
As we neared New Orleans, nothing seemed too unnatural.
The freeways were streaming along, and except for the occasional fallen tree, nothing seemed disturbed. However, as the mile count narrowed in, more and more trees seemed uprooted,
fractured, and split in two. Then came the silencing first view of a dog, dead, on the side of the road. That was no too much later followed by a dead golden retriever puppy, and yet another adult dog. Why were all these dogs running around by the freeway? Why hadn't these corpses been removed? Were people too busy removing other corpses, large ones, human ones????We were entering New Orleans.
We approached New Orleans via Highway 55 South, a jugular of

downtown New Orleans. It became obvious that this City had suffered a tremendous fight – large street signs bowing over in shame, scattered rubble, and windows shattered leaving vacant
holes in a mirage of a once vibrant city. This daunting image was capsulated with the Super Dome, in its not so super state – a beaten down monument symbolizing the fragile nature and uncertain future of a City renown for its funky beats, savory sent of Cajun spices, and unobvious depth of personality behind an
unquestioning festive merriment. Where had New Orleans, and the New Orlanders gone????

This is why I was here. This is what I believed we would soon see. This is what I was hoping that this next week would show. I hoped that we would we leave feeling a sense that we helped to resurrect a New(er) Orleans???

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home