Katie's Final Journal Entry
We’ve made it home, with mixed emotions. It’s strange to see “normal” dogs again. Dogs that are being walked down the streets by their owners, with no fear and a safe home to return to. It’s hard. Really, really hard. I find that I am constantly thinking about “our” dogs. Are they being fed on time, walked enough, getting their meds? I can’t seem to get their beautiful faces out of my mind. And I constantly wonder about the German Shepherd in the park. Has anyone found him? Will he make it through this? Even writing this entry is difficult. My eyes begin to swell with tears and I have to take a moment to stop and recover. I begin to write again, but the images and tears come back.
I have learned so much from this unique and trying experience, some good, some bad and even some funny.
The Funny
*I’ve learned that red ants eat anything and when they bite you, it hurts like a son of a b$#@#.
*I’ve learned that sometimes visiting the small towns in your own country can teach you more than if you were to travel half way around the world.
*I’ve learned to navigate my way through bayous, back roads and bulldozed streets.
*I’ve learned that things in the south are MUCH slower and I suspect it’s due to the extreme heat!!!
The Good and The Bad
*I’ve learned that Louisianans are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
*I've learned that even pit bulls have a heart. Yes, some are mean, but like people...there are the nice ones and then there are the ones you just don't want to be friends with.
*I've learned that we domesticated these animals. Therefore, it is our job to take care of them.
*I’ve learned to truly appreciate what you have. It could be gone in an instant.
*Be thankful. Maybe you don’t have the biggest home or your dream job, but at least you have something. You have your family, friends and a warm place to sleep at night. Continue to strive for what you want in life but ALWAYS be thankful for what you have right now.
*I’ve learned that everyone should prepare for a natural disaster. Have a distant friend, relative, or anyone who your family can contact after the disaster, just to know that you are all safe.
*I am amazed at how many people in this world live their lives without a single thought as to what is really going on out there.
*It’s sad how quickly we forget about these traumatic events. If it’s not on the news anymore…how quickly we forget.
*God forbid something like this was to ever happen again. But if it does and you can help, GO! You will be more helpful than you could ever imagine.
*Take care of each other. Watch out for your neighbors and always help them.
*Mother Nature can be both beautiful and devastating. Appreciate the beautiful days, but always know that she is in control.
*I’ve learned that it is TRULY amazing how people from all over the world can come together and work toward something they are passionate about.
*Listen to what you are told to do. It may save your life.
*I’ve learned that you can watch the news 24/7, but you still can’t begin to imagine what has happened down there. The smell, the heat, the mold, the massive destruction will never be portrayed through our television screens.
*I’ve learned that you can only do so much. We can’t save the world on our own. But, if we each do our small part, we CAN make a difference together.
*It’s sad that it takes a traumatic disaster like 9/11 and Katrina to learn these lessons.
*And most importantly, if you are EVER in a natural disaster, PLEASE take your pets with you. Take your neighbor’s pet. Do everything in your power to bring them with you, because the reality is, you may never see them again. And trust me, you don’t want your pet to end up like the animals we have seen.
Finally, I’ve learned that I am extremely lucky to have someone in my life who is willing to go all the way to Louisiana to scoop poo and walk dogs for a week…just because. I want to say thank you to Lo for sticking by my side and joining me in this incredible experience.
Thank you again for all of your support. I hope you all realize what a difference you have made. Thanks to you, these dogs had two more people to care for them and love them. They had warmer beds to sleep in thanks to Kimberly and more treats to enjoy thanks to Petfood Express and RedHound.
Sleep well tonight and please don't forget to count your blessings!
With sincere gratitude,
Katie, Lo and all the Katrina pets
p.s. We will be sending all of our photos out to you shortly. For now, I leave you with some of the fantastic people and pets we have met along the way!












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home